Cenotes are characteristic of Mexico and Central America. They are found more particularly in the Yucatan Peninsula where there are more than 3000 of which only 1400 are recorded and studied. The term comes from Maya “dzonot” or “ts’onot” and means “sacred well”. Indeed, cenotes were very important to the Mayans.
They were the only way to find pure water in this limestone plain of Yucatan, completely devoid of water. They were also sacred places, intended to receive offerings.
Cenote Tour Program:
- 8 am aprox: directly from the Office of México Kan Tours and get ready to ride your bikes!
- Climb on your bikes and ride to the first cenote
- Swim and snorkel in a first cave type cenote – Gran Cenote
- Stop for brunch at a private jungle location
- Ride to a second cenote – Cenote Cristal
- And Cenote Escondido snorkel in the networks of a last cave cenote
- Cycle back to the starting point
- 1 pm aprox
The distance covered is approximately 8km (5 miles) with plenty of stops.
Suitable for any adult comfortable on a bike and teenagers over 12.
For bookings that include children under 12 (min 8 years old), we can organize a private tour at extra cost (excluding groups of 6 people or more when the tour will be at normal price).
Included in Tour:
- Quality mountain bikes and helmets
- Entrance fees to the cenotes
- Professional Guide
- Healthy Brunch
- Water and snacks
- Transportation in air-conditioned van or car from and to your hotel within the immediate Tulum area (extra fee applies for hotels outside of Tulum)
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
Closed shoes, comfortable light clothes, sunglasses, your swimsuit and towels, and a change of clothes if you wish. Please only use biodegradable sunscreen and insect repellant to protect the ecosystems you will be visiting. In the absence of biodegradable products consider using clothes to protect yourself from the sun.
Mexico Kan Tours
About Mexico Kan ToursMexico Kan Tours is an agency that proposes a complete range of tours and excursions, as well as nature, culture and sports activities throughout Mexico. Thanks to its services, the agency is committed to promote mutually enriching cultural exchanges that increase understanding, protection and respect of Mexican heritage.
Mexico Kan Tours puts great emphasis on cooperation with local tour operators who are conscious about the necessity to protect the environment and to preserve their own culture.
Eco-tourism in Mexico is just in the beginning stages, but there already is increased awareness of the impact that mass tourism exerts on archaeological sites, indigenous communities and the environment. Keeping in mind the influence of tourism on Mexican culture, we have chosen to create tours that enable and promote the rise of sustainable, responsible tourism.