Situated on the banks of the Temburong River, Sumbiling Eco Village is an eco-lodge that offers amazing nature-based activities including the famous trend, “glamping”.
Home to the Iban Community, our aim is to achieve sustainability by preserving and maintaining the environment and utilizing existing resources. We also want to promote the harmonious and rich culture of the indigenous tribes of Borneo.
Prepare to be enticed with their nature induced simple way of life, mysticism beliefs, culture and unique laws. The Sumbiling Eco Village practices responsible tourism, hence making it Brunei’s first eco-tourism destination.
The surrounding area is an epitome of nature’s playground. Temburong district is separated from the rest of Brunei by Malaysia. The Ulu Temburong National Park is regarded as one of the best-preserved rainforest areas in Borneo. Our SEV packages include fun-filled trekking activities and nature excursions to the renowned park. Here you can find various rare species of Flora and Faunas.
This humbling experience is a perfect overnight getaway, giving you time to breathe and unwind in mother nature. Your trip begins with a 45-minute speedboat ride. You will be picked up by our local guide where your journey to SEV begins. Settle into your lodging or alternatively take a refreshing dip in the river or rest on the hammock beside the river. After dinner, proceed to a nearby forested area for a night walk in the forest and spot unique species like glow in the dark mushrooms, stick insects, snakes and birds.
Wake up to the morning’s tranquillity and prepare for an interesting day ahead. After breakfast, the Temuai, a traditional boat will take you to Ulu National Park through the meandering rivers. After you register, you will start your jungle trekking activity towards the canopy walk. Be prepared to meet exotic animals such as the Borneon Gibbon, squirrels, bushy crusted Hornbills, Wagler’s pit viper, rhinoceros hornbill and swiftlets are notable birds in the park.
Also, friendly residents are four hundred species of butterfly, some quite rare. Enjoy the postcard-perfect exhilarating view as you stand 50 meters above ground and immerse yourself in the tranquil view of mountains of neighbouring countries. On your way back, the Temuai will stop by one of the many waterfalls this area has to offer and treat yourself to a natural fish spa.
The next day, enjoy more rainforest trekking activities. The first part of your trek will take you through the secondary rainforest which features a diverse range of plants with multi-purpose benefits such as wild ginseng. These traditional beliefs are inherited from the generations of yesteryears and are still apparent in their lifestyle from laws, mysticism, beauty products and handicrafts. Relish walking across the Mutong River as you trek along some shallow rocky portions.
After returning, freshen up and get down to a hearty lunch, possibly with a treat in the form of wild vegetables foraged from nearby! Some relax and photo time, and then time to pack up and say goodbye.
Depart for Bangar, returning to BSB by speedboat*, with fond memories of your rainforest holiday, made possible by Sumbiling Eco Village!
Highlights: Sumbiling Eco Village / Rainforest Discovery / Ulu Temburong National Park / Canopy Walk / Nature Fish Spa / Waterfall
DepartureBSB jetty, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
- Guided forest night walk
- Rainforest discovery trek through the forest
- Visit Canopy Walkway, return long boat ride
- Visit waterfall (subject to weather and river conditions)
- English-speaking guide for both Ulu Temburong National Park and Rainforest Discovery excursion
- Ulu Temburong National Park entrance fee
- Return speedboat fare BSB-Bangar (ex. BSB Jetty only)
- Return overland transfer Bangar - Sumbiling Eco Village
- Use of Sumbiling Eco Village recreational facilities to be indicated by staff
- Accommodation in Glamping tents / Cabin
- 2x dinner, 2x breakfast, 2x lunch, free flow of water and tea at Sumbiling Eco Village
- Personal Toiletries
- Tips for guides and staff
- Bamboo Chicken at USD$ 22.00 per tube (requires pre-booking and is chargeable)
- River rafting (requires pre-booking and is chargeable)
- River tubing commencing from beyond Sumbiling Eco Village waterfront additional USD$10.00 per pax
- Accommodation in basic rooms
- Special requests may be fulfilled at the additional cost
- Additional requests for products, services or amenities not expressly mentioned above
Additional Add-Ons to this tour might be available.
DISCLAIMER: Timing subject to boat schedules and other factors.
Terms & Conditions
Package provision subject to guest's acceptance of the following:
- Provision of the package is on a seat-in-coach basis. Cost based on Minimum 2 pax going. Extra charges will be levied for personal tours.
- The operator and its affiliates exclude any liability for any discomfort, death or injury occurring within our premises or on tours conducted resulting from guest's own negligence or from circumstances, natural or otherwise, beyond reasonable foresight of the operator.
- Guests are expected to show respect for the natural environment by refraining from destruction or removal of flora, fauna or other components unless otherwise permitted, and with the knowledge of the guides in attendance. Guests are also expected to strictly adhere to safety regulations and directions from the guides at all times during the duration of the tour.
- As an outdoor trip, itinerary and times indicated are subject to change without notice, as trips may be affected by rain, heat, high or low water levels in the river, and guests' fitness levels which might affect the speed of mobility.
- Meals are prepared in a local style and consist of chicken, fish & assorted vegetables, unless otherwise pre-requested and agreed upon between operator and guest. Guests observing a vegetarian regime, or other dietary preferences are to make their preferences known at the time of booking in order for suitable meals to be prepared, to the best effort of the operator.
- Meet at BSB jetty, Bandar Seri Begawan
- Speedboat ride to Bangar town, Temburong
- You will be welcomed by the local guide at Bangar jetty and overland transfer to Sumbiling Eco Village
- Arrive at Sumbiling Eco Village
- Free and Easy
- Relax in the River or take a walk to the village
- Gather wild vegetables with a local village
- Night forest walk.
- Breakfast & get ready for the day (flexible).
- The option of activity: Canopy walk at Ulu Temburong National Park OR Rainforest Discovery Trek - depart via Temuai; traditional open longboat.
- Back to Sumbiling Eco Village. Freshen up. Lunch. Relax & leisure time
- Breakfast & get ready for the day (flexible).
- The option of activity: Canopy walk at Ulu Temburong National Park or Rainforest Discovery Trek - depart via Temuai; traditional open longboat.
- Back to Sumbiling Eco Village. Freshen up.
- Prepare to depart to Bandar Seri Begawan
- Overland transfer to Bangar Jetty. Speedboat ride to BSB
- Arrive at BSB Jetty. End of tour
Borneo GuideBornei Guide are a service provider specialising in travels and tours in and around the island of Borneo. We cater to a wide range of discerning travel needs, from the independent traveller to corporate trips, that suits every budget.
One of our earliest ventures was a rainforest ecotourism development called Sumbiling Eco Village. It was founded as joint-venture between local Iban villagers of Sumbiling Lama in Brunei’s Temburong District.
We provide economic welfare as well as an avenue for them to cultivate a sense of pride and purpose in their tribal heritage which had a strong grounding in natural sustainability and vast knowledge of herbal and natural applications of various plants of the rainforest.
Today, the venture is our flagship operation, and has welcomed many satisfied visitors who have returned home with a greater understanding of natural environment and creatures, and of course memories of a lifetime!
We also take pride in hosting visitors who have specific travel themes or purposes, such as Australian visitors on their Brunei leg of a Borneo WW2 remembrance tour, media crew and travel writers, volunteer travellers and more. Due to a strong passion for travel and their heritage past and present, our guides and staff are well-equipped and always eager to share tales, knowledge and experiences with visitors who come on this great journey.
From diving in beautiful waters teeming with spectacular marine life, to trekking into the depths of the lush tropical rainforest, to unearthing the hidden secrets of past civilisations, we aim to provide nothing short a perfect travel experience for you to cherish for years to come!