Glowing Adventures is located off the beaten tourist track, but still within a short drive of the Waitomo Caves Village and the small towns of Te Kuiti and Otorohanga.
On our photography tours we provide beautiful natural New Zealand scenery both inside and outside of the glow worm caves, with an experienced guide.
These tours are “private”. That is, your group and your guide will be the only participants on the tour. On photography tours we take a minimum of two and a maximum of four people.
Photography tours are a little different from the standard Glowing Adventures Eco-Tour. The main difference is we focus on the entrance/exit of the cave and the very picturesque Mangapu Gorge. There are excellent photo opportunities, including beautiful glow worms.
The cave system is one of only two in the Waitomo district that is classified by New Zealand’s Department of Conservation as being of “International Significance”. And it is completely untouched!
On photography tours we allow larger cameras and other equipment like small tripods. And you have the freedom to take a lot more time over your photography than you do on our other tours. Photographing glow worms is challenging, and can take some time. The results though can be spectacular!
- For safety reasons we don’t take photography tours through some parts of the cave system. All equipment must also be carried in a backpack, as hands must be free when moving up and down the tracks.
- All cameras and equipment are taken at your own risk.
- Please note that this tour is not suitable for the elderly or anyone with mobility difficulties. It involves climbing over boulders, walking up hills and wading through streams with rocks underfoot, so a reasonable level of fitness is required.
- There is no public transport access to Glowing Adventures, and we are not able to pick people up. You will need your own transport to get to us.
Glowing AdventuresGlowing Adventures is a small, family owned tour company in the Waitomo district. We run intimate tours through a large glow worm cave system on private family-owned farm land.
We’re located in a tiny settlement called Pākeho, and are the fourth generation to live and work in this district. The land has now been passed to a fourth generation, and we’ve decided to share our little piece of paradise with you.
The cliffs, gorge, forest and caves at Pākeho are untouched — there are no concrete paths or electric lights! — so we invite you to come and enjoy them, just as we did growing up in this amazing piece of New Zealand.
We offer authentic adventures with untouched glow worm caves and stunning limestone formations in their purest form. No fancy gadgets like electric lights or handrails. We want happy worms!
We offer the following tours:
- Our glow worm cave eco-tour for mixed groups of 2-8 people.
- Private tours of the glow worm cave, for single-booking groups of 2-8 people.
- Specialist private photography tours for those wishing to take photos of the glow worms, cave formations, and surrounding native forest.