Glowing Adventures is located off the beaten tourist track, but still within a short drive of the Waitomo Caves Village and the small towns of Te Kuiti and Otorohanga.
Allow one of our knowledgeable guides to escort your group on an exclusive private tour through beautiful native New Zealand forest and untouched glow worm caves. There are no handrails, no electric lights, and no concrete paths — everything is completely natural.
Private tours are similar to the standard Glowing Adventure Eco-Tour, but consists of just your party, plus a guide.
The caves are untouched. There are no handrails, electric lights, concrete paths, or other modifications, and the tour involves climbing over boulders, up hills and wading through streams. A moderate level of fitness is therefore required.
Allow 3 hours for the tour, of which approximately 2 hours is spent in the cave system.
- Minimum age is 11 years. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Please note that this tour is not suitable for the elderly or anyone with mobility difficulties. It involves climbing over boulders, walking up hills and wading through streams with rocks underfoot, so a reasonable level of fitness is required.
- There is no public transport access to Glowing Adventures, and we are not able to pick people up. You will need your own transport to get to us
We also offer shower facilities, hot drinks, and a snack, once the tour is over.
Cameras are welcome on our adventures, as long as they are not too large. A small digital camera is best, and some people even bring their phones to take photos. Our guides will also take photographs during the tour, and digital copies are provided to you at no charge. Keen photographers hoping to bring larger equipment to capture the scenery may wish to consider one of our Glowing Adventures Glow Worm Cave Photography Tours.
Glowing AdventuresGlowing Adventures is a small, family owned tour company in the Waitomo district. We run intimate tours through a large glow worm cave system on private family-owned farm land.
We’re located in a tiny settlement called Pākeho, and are the fourth generation to live and work in this district. The land has now been passed to a fourth generation, and we’ve decided to share our little piece of paradise with you.
The cliffs, gorge, forest and caves at Pākeho are untouched — there are no concrete paths or electric lights! — so we invite you to come and enjoy them, just as we did growing up in this amazing piece of New Zealand.
We offer authentic adventures with untouched glow worm caves and stunning limestone formations in their purest form. No fancy gadgets like electric lights or handrails. We want happy worms!
We offer the following tours:
- Our glow worm cave eco-tour for mixed groups of 2-8 people.
- Private tours of the glow worm cave, for single-booking groups of 2-8 people.
- Specialist private photography tours for those wishing to take photos of the glow worms, cave formations, and surrounding native forest.