Situated on the banks of the Temburong River, Sumbiling Eco Village is an eco-lodge that offers amazing nature-based activities including the famous trend, “glamping”.
Home to the Iban Community, our aim is to achieve sustainability by preserving and maintaining the environment and utilizing existing resources.
We also want to promote the harmonious and rich culture of the indigenous tribes of Borneo. Prepare to be enticed with their nature induced simple way of life, mysticism beliefs, culture and unique laws. The Sumbiling Eco Village practices responsible tourism, hence making it Brunei’s first eco-tourism destination.
The surrounding area is an epitome of nature’s playground. Temburong district is separated from the rest of Brunei by Malaysia. The Ulu Temburong National Park is regarded as one of the best-preserved rainforest areas in Borneo. Our SEV packages include fun-filled trekking activities and nature excursions to the renowned park. Here you can find various rare species of Flora and Faunas.
This humbling experience perfectly fits the busy and fast-paced travel itineraries, giving you time to breathe and unwind. Your trip begins with a 45-minute speedboat ride to Temburong. You will be welcomed and picked up by our local guide and your overland journey to SEV begins. Once you arrive SEV, have some time to rest and change to your trekking attires.
The first part of your trek will take you through the secondary rainforest which features a diverse range of plants with multi-purpose benefits such as wild ginseng. These traditional beliefs are inherited from the generations of yesteryears and are still apparent in their lifestyle from laws, mysticism, beauty products and handicrafts. Relish walking across the Mutong River as you trek along some shallow rocky portions.
Return to SEV where you will have your locally made and harvested lunch. Have some time to relax and explore the mini forest trek around the village before you head back to Bandar Seri Begawan.
Highlights: Sumbiling Eco Village / Rainforest Discovery Trek
DepartureKianggeh Jetty, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
- Return speedboat fare Bandar Seri Begawan to Bangar
- Return transfer Bangar to Sumbiling Eco Village
- Rainforest discovery trek
- Morning light refreshments, lunch, free flow of water and tea at Sumbiling Eco Village
- Personal Toiletries
- Tips for guides and staff
- Bamboo rafting, Bamboo Chicken (requires pre-booking, USD$22 per tube)
- Tubing water activity (pre-booking, USD$10 per person)
- Additional requests for products, services or amenities not expressly mentioned above.
Outdoor ConditionsEasy trekking through the hilly undulating terrain. No marked trails - directions by villager guides. Guides will choose among trails depending on the fitness level of guests and timing. Surfaces might be muddy and slippery. Crossing streams and river rapids required. Swim in rivers/streams*.
- Light rucksack
- Changes of clothes
- Small towel (for sweat)
- Bath towel
- Refillable water bottle
You might want to bring along
- Extra pair of slipper or wet shoes for walking in the stream
- Insect repellent
- Sun lotion
- Medication (if required)
- Waterproof pouches/bags (to keep gadgets, wallets, passports, etc dry)
- Isotonic drinks
Terms & ConditionsPackage provision subject to guest's acceptance of the following:
- Provision of a package is on a seat-in-coach basis. Cost based on Minimum 2 pax going. Extra charges will be levied for personal tours.
- The operator and its affiliates exclude any liability for any discomfort, death or injury occurring within our premises or on tours conducted resulting from guest's own negligence or from circumstances, natural or otherwise, beyond reasonable foresight of the operator.
- Guests are expected to show respect for the natural environment by refraining from destruction or removal of flora, fauna or other components unless otherwise permitted, and with the knowledge of the guides in attendance. Guests are also expected to strictly adhere to safety regulations and directions from the guides at all times during the duration of the tour.
- As an outdoor trip, itinerary and times indicated are subject to change without notice, as trips may be affected by rain, heat, high or low water levels in the river, and guests' fitness levels which might affect the speed of mobility.
- Meals are prepared in a local style and consist of chicken, fish & assorted vegetables, unless otherwise pre-requested and agreed upon between operator and guest. Guests observing a vegetarian regime, or other dietary preferences are to make their preferences known at time of booking in order for suitable meals to be prepared, to the best effort of the operator.
- Meet at Kianggeh Jetty, BSB;
- Speedboat ride to Bangar town, Temburong
- Welcome by the local guide at the Bangar jetty for overland transfer to Sumbiling Eco Village
- Light refreshments
- Start Rainforest Discovery trek
- Back to Sumbiling Eco Village.
- Freshen up, relax & photo time
- Overland transfer to Bangar
- Speedboat ride to BSB
- Arrive at Bandar Seri Begawan. End of Tour
Borneo GuideBornei Guide are a service provider specialising in travels and tours in and around the island of Borneo. We cater to a wide range of discerning travel needs, from the independent traveller to corporate trips, that suits every budget.
One of our earliest ventures was a rainforest ecotourism development called Sumbiling Eco Village. It was founded as joint-venture between local Iban villagers of Sumbiling Lama in Brunei’s Temburong District.
We provide economic welfare as well as an avenue for them to cultivate a sense of pride and purpose in their tribal heritage which had a strong grounding in natural sustainability and vast knowledge of herbal and natural applications of various plants of the rainforest.
Today, the venture is our flagship operation, and has welcomed many satisfied visitors who have returned home with a greater understanding of natural environment and creatures, and of course memories of a lifetime!
We also take pride in hosting visitors who have specific travel themes or purposes, such as Australian visitors on their Brunei leg of a Borneo WW2 remembrance tour, media crew and travel writers, volunteer travellers and more. Due to a strong passion for travel and their heritage past and present, our guides and staff are well-equipped and always eager to share tales, knowledge and experiences with visitors who come on this great journey.
From diving in beautiful waters teeming with spectacular marine life, to trekking into the depths of the lush tropical rainforest, to unearthing the hidden secrets of past civilisations, we aim to provide nothing short a perfect travel experience for you to cherish for years to come!