Situated on the banks of the Temburong river, Sumbiling Eco Village is an eco lodge that offers amazing nature based activities including the famous trend, “glamping”. Home to the Iban Community, our aim is to achieve sustainability by preserving and maintaining the environment and utilizing existing resources.
We also want to promote the harmonious and rich culture of the indigenous tribes of Borneo.
Prepare to be enticed with their nature induced simple way of life, mysticism beliefs, culture and unique laws. The Sumbiling Eco Village practices responsible tourism, hence making it Brunei’s first eco tourism destination.
The surrounding area is an epitome of nature’s playground. Temburong district is separated from the rest of Brunei by Malaysia. The Ulu Temburong National Park is regarded as one of the best-preserved rainforest areas in Borneo. Our SEV packages include fun-filled trekking activities and nature excursions to the renowned park. Here you can find various rare species of Flora and Faunas.
This humbling overnight experience is a perfect getaway for those who want to take their time immersed in mother nature.
Your trip begins with a 45-minute speedboat ride to Temburong. You will be welcomed and picked up by our guide and your overland journey to SEV begins. Settle into your lodging or alternatively take a refreshing dip in the river or rest on the hammock beside the river. After dinner, proceed to a nearby forested area for a night walk in the forest and spot unique species like glow in the dark mushrooms, stick insects, birds, frogs and snakes.
Wake up to an adventurous day ahead. The first part of your trek will take you through the secondary rainforest which features a diverse range of plants with multi-purpose benefits such as wild ginseng. These traditional beliefs are inherited from the generations of yesteryears and are still apparent in their lifestyle from laws, mysticism, beauty products and handicrafts.
Go deeper until eventually, you emerge into the primary rainforest. Marvel at the towering trees, especially the hardwoods and enjoy the cool shade cast by the imposing canopy foliage above you.
Walk across the Mutong River as you trek along some shallow rocky portions. For the adrenaline seekers, trek along a creek to a small seasonal waterfall which will definitely be worth the excitement.
Return to SEV. After returning, freshen up and get down to a hearty lunch, possibly with a treat of wild vegetables foraged from nearby! Some relax and photo time, and then time to pack up and say good bye. Depart for Bangar, returning to BSB by boat*, with fond memories of your rainforest holiday, made possible by Sumbiling Eco Village!
Highlights: Sumbiling Eco Village / Rainforest Discovery Trek
DepartureBSB jetty, Bandar Seri Begawan, Burnei
- Guided forest night walk
- Rainforest discovery trek through forest and river
- English-speaking guide for rainforest discovery excursion
- Return speedboat fare BSB - Bangar (ex. Kianggeh Jetty only)
- Return transfer Bangar - Sumbiling Eco Village
- Use of Sumbiling Eco Village recreational facilities to be indicated by staff
- Accommodation in Glamping Tents
- Dinner, breakfast, lunch, free flow of water and tea at Sumbiling Eco Village;
- Tips for guides and staff
- Bamboo chicken at lunch for groups of <20 pax (USD$22 per tube)
- Water tubing activities (USD$10 per person)
- Additional requests for products, services or amenities not expressly mentioned above. A special request may be fulfilled at additional cost.
DISCLAIMER: Timing subject to boat schedules and other factors. At times you might need to wait more than one hour.
Terms & ConditionsPackage provision subject to guest's acceptance of the following:
- Provision of the package is on a seat-in-coach basis. Cost based on minimum 2 pax going. Extra charges will be levied for personal tours.
- The operator and its affiliates exclude any liability for any discomfort, death or injury occurring within our premises or on tours conducted resulting from guest's own negligence or from circumstances, natural or otherwise, beyond reasonable foresight of the operator.
- Guests are expected to show respect for the natural environment by refraining from destruction or removal of flora, fauna or other components unless otherwise permitted, and with the knowledge of the guides in attendance. Guests are also expected to strictly adhere to safety regulations and directions from the guides at all times during the duration of the tour.
- As an outdoor trip, itinerary and times indicated are subject to change without notice, as trips may be affected by rain, heat, high or low water levels in the river, and guests' fitness levels which might affect the speed of mobility.
- Meals are prepared with local style and consist of chicken, fish & assorted vegetables, unless otherwise pre-requested and agreed upon between operator and guest. Guests observing a vegetarian regime, or other dietary preferences are to make their preferences known at the time of booking in order for suitable meals to be prepared, to the best effort of the operator.
- Meet at BSB jetty, Bandar Seri Begawan;
- Boat ride to Bangar town, Temburong.
- Welcome by the local guide at Bangar jetty.
- Overland transfer to Sumbiling Eco Village.
- Arrive at the Eco-Village. Check in to accommodation.
- Free & Leisure.
- Relax in the river or take a walk to the village and its surrounding
- Night forest walk.
- Breakfast & get ready for the day (flexible)
- Start rainforest discovery trek.
- Back to Sumbiling Eco Village,
- Lunch, freshen up, relax and check out from Sumbiling Eco Village.
- Overland transfer to Bangar
- Boat ride to Bandar Seri Begawan.
- Arrive at Bandar Seri Begawan jetty. End of Tour
Borneo GuideBornei Guide are a service provider specialising in travels and tours in and around the island of Borneo. We cater to a wide range of discerning travel needs, from the independent traveller to corporate trips, that suits every budget.
One of our earliest ventures was a rainforest ecotourism development called Sumbiling Eco Village. It was founded as joint-venture between local Iban villagers of Sumbiling Lama in Brunei’s Temburong District.
We provide economic welfare as well as an avenue for them to cultivate a sense of pride and purpose in their tribal heritage which had a strong grounding in natural sustainability and vast knowledge of herbal and natural applications of various plants of the rainforest.
Today, the venture is our flagship operation, and has welcomed many satisfied visitors who have returned home with a greater understanding of natural environment and creatures, and of course memories of a lifetime!
We also take pride in hosting visitors who have specific travel themes or purposes, such as Australian visitors on their Brunei leg of a Borneo WW2 remembrance tour, media crew and travel writers, volunteer travellers and more. Due to a strong passion for travel and their heritage past and present, our guides and staff are well-equipped and always eager to share tales, knowledge and experiences with visitors who come on this great journey.
From diving in beautiful waters teeming with spectacular marine life, to trekking into the depths of the lush tropical rainforest, to unearthing the hidden secrets of past civilisations, we aim to provide nothing short a perfect travel experience for you to cherish for years to come!